Donations

We are very grateful to the following sponsors and friends of the church for their continued help and support.

 

ChicsystemsChicsystems who kindly donated this website. Chicsystems creates and hosts websites with offices both in the UK and Cyprus.

 

GYTAGYTA – The Great Yarmouth Tourist Authority.

 

The TrevrossThe Trevross Hotel, a local hotel near the seafront in Great Yarmouth.

 

Barkers PhotographicBarkers Photographic, official photographers for the Greek Dinner and Dance events who donate for each photo bought.

We rely on the support of our community and gratefully accept any kind donations. While we have been awarded funding by English Heritage for our church restoration project, some of our funding must come from the local community if we are to restore this fantastic church to its former glory. To raise funds we run charity evenings in local restaurants and are lucky to have all nationalities supporting us.

To find more about the project or to make a donation towards it, contact Mr Peter Ioannou on 01493 730360 or 07899 950587.

Cheques to be made payable to St Spyridon’s Church and posted to St. Spyridon Greek Orthodox Church, St. Peter's Road, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, NR30 3AY.

Saint SpyridonSaint Spyridon of Tremithus was born towards the end of the third century on the island of Cyprus. He was a shepherd, and had a wife and children. He used all his substance for the needs of his neighbors and the homeless, for which the Lord rewarded him with a gift of wonderworking. He healed those who were incurably sick, and cast out demons.

After the death of his wife, during the reign of Constantine the Great (306-337), he was made Bishop of Tremithus, Cyprus. As a bishop, the saint did not alter his manner of life, but combined pastoral service with deeds of charity.

Saint Spyridon is the Patron Saint of our Church and we celebrate his Feast Day on 12th December.

More information on Saint Spyridon can be found here.

Information from the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Thryateira of Great Britain can be found here.

Saint Spyridon's Greek Orthodox ChurchHistory

Originally the Anglican Parish Church of St Peter, the Church was built in 1831 as a Georgian church and was the early work of Yarmouth church builder Mr J.J. Scoles. The impressive four dial clock was a later addition to the church in 1876 and the tower originally had pinnacles but were seen as dangerous and removed as early as 1860 and new glass windows were installed.

As St Peter's, the church fell out of use in the 1960s along with many other 19th century churches in South Yarmouth. Most of these churches were demolished but luckily St Peter's was given to the growing Greek community in Great Yarmouth in 1963 and was formally dedicated to the Greek Orthodox church in April 1983.

Today, the church has undergone a transformation as the exterior has been renovated to restore it to its former glory. The interior is vibrant with the altar and sanctuary featuring an iconostasis of the Saints and the church is the bustling heart of the local Greek community with a variety of classes an events taking place there on a regular basis.

There has been a Greek presence in Great Yarmouth since the 1940s and we have around 200 families attached to our church with an attendance of about 120 to our Sunday services.

The Church building also houses a community hall and a busy Greek school as well as having Greek dance classes. We hold regular Greek dinner and dances to raise money for charity and the Church celebrated 50 years as a Greek Orthodox Church in 2015.

The Church

WE WELCOME YOU ALL TO OUR CHURCH

We are a close community not just from the local area but across the Greek community in the UK and beyond. We hold many events over the year most notably our Charity Greek Dinner and Dance where people across the country come every year to share in the spirt of the community and support the Church.

See Our Restoration project progress


In June 2013 St Spyridon’s church, together with the full support of English Heritage, started a very ambitious 10 year plan to carry out essential restoration work to return the Church to its original condition. In Jan 2014, we finished the First Phase, which was the tower and the clock, at a cost of £150,000.br />

See Photos



 

History

Originally the Anglican Parish Church of St Peter, the Church was built in 1831 as a Georgian church and was the early work of Yarmouth church builder Mr J.J. Scoles. The impressive four dial clock was a later addition to the church in 1876 and the tower originally had pinnacles but were seen as dangerous and removed as early as 1860 and new glass windows were installed.

As St Peter's, the church fell out of use in the 1960s along with many other 19th century churches in South Yarmouth. Most of these churches were demolished but luckily St Peter's was given to the growing Greek community in Great Yarmouth in 1963 and was formally dedicated to the Greek Orthodox church in April 1983.

Today, the church has undergone a transformation as the exterior has been renovated to restore it to its former glory. The interior is vibrant with the altar and sanctuary featuring an iconostasis of the Saints and the church is the bustling heart of the local Greek community with a variety of classes an events taking place there on a regular basis.

There has been a Greek presence in Great Yarmouth since the 1940s and we have around 200 families attached to our church with an attendance of about 120 to our Sunday services.

The Church building also houses a community hall and a busy Greek school as well as having Greek dance classes. We hold regular Greek dinner and dances to raise money for charity and the Church celebrated 50 years as a Greek Orthodox Church in 2015.

Subcategories

enel

Get In Touch

  • St. Peter's Road, Great Yarmouth
    Norfolk NR30 3AY UK
  • 01493 856098

Supported by